April 6, 2016
Supplemental Guidance Related to the FDIC Statement of Policy on Applications for Deposit Insurance
The FDIC is issuing guidance in the form of supplemental “Questions and Answers” (Q&As) to aid applicants in developing proposals for deposit insurance. The supplemental Q&As, which address business planning, provide additional transparency to the application process and supplement the guidance issued November 20, 2014, through Financial Institution Letter (FIL) 56-2014.
Statement of Applicability to Institutions With Total Assets Under $1 Billion: This Financial Institution Letter applies to all insured depository institutions.
- Part 303 (Subpart B) of the FDIC Rules and Regulations (12 U.S.C. § 1815) sets forth the administrative procedures to apply for deposit insurance.
- The FDIC Statement of Policy on Applications for Deposit Insurance, which was effective October 1, 1998, provides additional guidance to proposed depository institutions applying for deposit insurance.
- The FDIC issued Q&As on November 20, 2014, through FIL-56-2014, entitled Guidance Related to the FDIC Statement of Policy on Applications for Deposit Insurance. The Q&As addressed pre-filing meetings, processing timelines, initial capitalization, and initial business plans of de novo institutions.
- The supplemental Q&As address business plan content with respect to initial submissions, weaknesses identified in submitted plans, and changes in business plans.
- The FDIC may post additional Q&As as circumstances warrant.