December 22, 2016
FDIC Seeking Comment on a Publication Entitled Applying for Deposit Insurance – A Handbook for Organizers of De Novo Institutions
The FDIC is seeking comment on a handbook developed to facilitate the process of establishing new banks. Applying for Deposit Insurance – A Handbook for Organizers of De Novo Institutions provides an overview of the business considerations and statutory requirements that de novo organizers will face as they work to establish a new depository institution and apply for deposit insurance. It offers guidance for navigating three phases of establishing an insured institution: pre-filing activities, the application process, and pre-opening activities.
Statement of Applicability to Institutions With Total Assets Under $1 Billion: This Financial Institution Letter applies to all proposed insured depository institutions.
- The handbook seeks to address the informational needs of organizers, as well as feedback from organizers and other interested parties during recent industry outreach events.
- The handbook does not establish new policy or guidance, or modify existing policy or guidance. The handbook, however, provides organizers and the public with transparency and clarity about the FDIC’s process for reviewing and approving applications for deposit insurance.
- To ensure that the handbook will be useful to organizers, the FDIC is seeking comment on the following questions:
- Does the handbook provide an organizer with sufficient clarity, transparency, and understanding with respect to the requirements, procedures, and processes for establishing an insured depository institution?
- Does the handbook adequately address the requirements, procedures, and processes for establishing an insured depository institution during the primary phases: pre-filing activities, the application process, and pre-opening activities?
- Does the handbook appropriately address the information needs of organizers who are experienced bankers, as well as the information needs of other organizers, such as certain proposed investors or directors, who may not have experience in banking?
- Is the inclusion of comments from successful bank Chief Executive Officers regarding de novo formation helpful and, if so, should the discussion be expanded?
- The 60-day comment period ends on February 20, 2017. Comments should be submitted to [email protected].
- Recently, the FDIC has initiated industry outreach meetings in San Francisco, New York, and Atlanta to inform industry participants about the FDIC’s application process. Future events are planned for Dallas, Chicago, and Kansas City in 2017.
- Additional resources are available on the FDIC website dedicated to applications for deposit insurance.